Saturday, July 9, 2011

If Facebook is not considered a friend to teachers, is a blog different?

7 comments:

  1. Maybe it is because a blog is a little easier for a teacher to introduce using a blog in the classroom as a part of an assignment then using Facebook. That's hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we have more control over a blog but not much. I also think parents will have more comfortable use of a blog than facebook. But I'm not sure it's that different. And if we make a teacher "Fan page" than really it's pretty much the same thing. So it's tricky all around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The issue may be technology versus implementation. Facebook is the implementation of, for a lack of a better term, "Blog Technology". A teacher has no control of the tertiary influences a student will encounter on Facebook. Consider a comparison between Youtube and Teachertube. A school district may limit access to Youtube do to a lack of content control. A solution is using the same technology, streaming video, in Teachertube's controlled environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't consider a blog to have the same following as facebook or the same intent. especially a blog created for the sole purpose of education. Facebook carries completely different connotation for parents and students. but ya if you create a facebook page specifically for your classroom it is about the same thing, but at least if parents see kids on your blog they know they are at least pretending to do homework, whereas you could not so easily discern with facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we as teachers need to find a way to tap into whatever means the children are using. If it is a blog we need to tune in, if it is facebook we need to tune into that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think blogs are quite a bit different than facebook if the teacher implements using them in an educational manner. I think most of us as teachers can come up with a lot of fun and useful ways to use blogs in our classrooms. Facebook to me is more of a way to socialize with your friends- not necessarily educational. ;)

    ReplyDelete